Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sorry Birchbox, It's Not You, It's Me...



...Oh who am I kidding..It's you!

I've been duped by Birchbox again! They say fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me & I can honestly say I think I am through with Birchbox for good this time. As some of you might know, I resubscribed to Birchbox last month after having canceled it originally. I feel like I should have known that last month's box, which was actually quite good, was just a fluke. Because when my June box arrived, it was back to the same old dissapointing things & I was left wishing I could have my $10 back. Harsh I know!





My June 2012 Birchbox Included:

Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelettes
Eyeko Fat Eye Stick in Black
Likewise Facial Moisturizer + Sun Protection SPF 50
theBalm Stainiac in Beauty Queen
tili Bag
John Varvatos Cologne Sample (Birchbox Man)

Out of all these products, the only one I was even remotely excited about was was the mini theBalm stain. 


One of the biggest disappointments of this box was the full sized Eyeko Fat Eye Stick. I feel like this could have actually been quite a lovely addition to the box, had the color been something more wearable, other than black. The Eyeko Fat Stick is marketed as a shadow stick, similar to ones by Urban Decay, or the new MUFE ones. So, I was a bit confused as to why the shade they sent wasn't something more natural like a neutral color that could be easily blended across the lid. I personally wouldn't wear a black cream shadow on my lid on a daily basis & if I ever did, only on rare occasions at night. Also, I don't think you could even use this as an eyeliner, because it is much too chubby to get close into the lash line. So, I'm at a loss as to what I would ever use this for. 

Also, as you can see in the picture above, my Eyeko Fat Eye Stick came completely smushed up into the top cap & fell out of the tube packaging all together!

 I really hate being so negative about anything I write about on my blog, but my June Birchbox was just such a major fail that I felt I had to say something. So, I'm officially cancelling my subscription, for the second and final time.

What have your experiences with Birchbox or other monthly box services been?

Thanks for reading!



Lots of Love,

Louise




14 comments:

  1. Im unsubscribing from the two boxes i get.... id rather use the money for sumething i want

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were you I would contact Birchbox and send them the photo of the Eyeko, they should send you a replacement. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's unfortunate about the Eyeko stick and the products generally being underwhelming. I'd probably contact them about the state of the Eyeko - if their customer service is anywhere near decent, they'd ship a free replacement to you ASAP. But I agree, what's the point of a black cream shadow stick anyway? I guess every now and then you might wear it as a base for really dark night time makeup, but a lighter neutral colour would've been a better inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's terrible! There has been so much word of Birchbox going down hill in the States. I'd definitely contact them about the Eyeko product!!
    But save your money and buy yourself something you like instead!

    Zoe xx
    http://toujourszweee.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant decide whether to sign up for similar things here in the UK on one side be lovely to try new products but could end up with a load of products you don't like or want and with that money could have bought something amazing

    http://supersnoo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard really great things about Glossybox! Maybe just try it for one month and see how you like it? I'm happy it's in the US now. I'm considering giving that one a try :)

      Delete
  6. I am just not a fan of most of the beauty boxes. My favourite is the glossybox...I have only recieved one..but being that it is $15 (instead of $10) I just found that it was packed to the bring with amazing goodies!

    Courtney from Strawberree Swing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to drop Birchbox in April as I wasn't happy with the selection and thought I'd be better off saving the $10 for something I would actually use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got rid of my 2 beauty boxes! (Luxe Box & Glymm) I feel like if they advertise 4-5 DELUXE sized beauty samples each month you should receive 4-5 DELUXE sized beauty samples each month! False advertising as far as I'm concerned and I can definitely use my 20 bucks that I was spending on the 2 boxes for something much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so sad! I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your box. I got the skinny eyeko liner and it was much better!
    taylor
    Girl Meets Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get their service in Canada but I would have to agree with your review...horrible feeling when you feel like you've wasted money :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. How annoying about the Eyeko stick. I wouldnt wear black as shadow either, its just too harsh.

    New follower :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a disappointing box. I think the only thing I'd use the black eye stick for is as a base or to do a smokey eye look. But I'm not a fan of cream eyeshadows..so..it'd probably be wasted on myself too. Great blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have been disappointed by this box too! I'm so glad my subscription to Glymm is done because their boxes have been bad for months. But I also feel that all of these beauty boxes have their up and down months. But when they are consistently bad for a bit then they usually stay bad and it's time to say goodbye.

    :)Chelsey
    My Beauty Full Adventure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I enjoy reading each and every one!

Feel free to leave a link to your page if you like! However, please no advertising or follow for follow comments. Thank you!