Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Subtle Smoke: A Romantic Makeup Look



With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought I would share with you my go-to look for a romantic night out. This look consists of slightly smokey, plummy eyes, glowing skin, and light pink lips. Although I am a fan of more dramatic makeup looks on others, I just don't feel that I can pull them off myself. When I know I have an event or a special evening to attend, I really like to take the approach of my everyday makeup, but just bumping up one element of it, being either smoking out the eyes a little more or putting a vibrant color on my lips. 

As pretty as they are, for this particular occasion I avoided any bright or dark lip colors. I find that men don't really appreciate dramatic makeup the way that women do. Chances are, no matter how pretty your fuchsia lipstick looks on you, the person you want to be kissing tomorrow night doesn't want to be wearing it as well. 



*Please excuse the frizzy hair!*


Eyes
For the eyes, I built the look around the new Spring 2013 Chanel Eye Quad in Raffnement (review here). I prepped my lids with a little Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Barely Beige, then buffed the taupe shade across the lid. I then defined the outer corner, crease and lower lashline with the darker shimmering plum shade. To highlight the inner corners, I applied the iridescent lavender shade. Because I wanted to keep this look sexy and smokey, I avoided any pencil or gel liner and went for a black eyeshadow, MAC's Black Tied, to line my upper lashline. No smokey eye is complete without lashing of an ultra-black, volumizing mascara. My choice had to be the amazing new Chanel Le Volume de Chanel Mascara.

Face
I didn't want my cheeks to compete with the eyes in any way. I just wanted a glowing, healthy look to my skin. To achieve this, I dusted some Benefit Blush in Hervana on my cheeks, followed by Benefit Watt's Up! Highlighter across my cheekbones, browbone, and down the bridge of my nose.

Lips
For a romantic night out, you want your lips to look as soft and kissable as possible. For this effect, I chose Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Sourire, a warm light pink color. The glossy, balmy formula of this lipstick is ideal for a night out because you won't have to worry about it getting anywhere.


Let me know what your go-to look is when you have a romantic night out!


Hope you all have a very happy Valentine's Day no matter what your plans are!

xx


9 comments:

  1. Haha I went to my V-Day dinner tonight (naturally by the time us two procrastinators thought of making a reservation, the restaurant had been fully booked for Thursday), and I wore something similar! You're right about guys not liking the same things as girls. My boyfriend has become very tolerant, but still. For Valentine's Day I thought I'd make him happy by wearing something soft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,
    Nice to know your blog :) I love Chanel raffinement too! What a beautiful color :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look is beautiful! And your lashes are amazing, so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute! I love that it's something different and not all pink or red!

    I would LOVE if you would come over and participate in my Beauty Bloggers Blog Hop! It runs every Friday through to Sunday exclusively for beauty bloggers!
    http://www.jessiswonderland.com/2013/02/beauty-blogers-blog-hop.html

    Jessi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful makeup! A great look. Love your lips!
    Lovely blog, I'm a new follower :)
    Abby x
    Be You and Be Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the look! simple and beautiful (:
    new follower here (:

    xx S.
    http://sunsetswings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing and the products you used are beautiul too. its my first time on your blog and its so pretty

    new follower here, found you through blog hop. would love for you to have a look on my blog as well. i do reviews, tutorials and hauls.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look gorgeous! Such lovely soft tones :)

    louisejoyb x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I enjoy reading each and every one!

Feel free to leave a link to your page if you like! However, please no advertising or follow for follow comments. Thank you!