Thursday, January 31, 2013

My No- Heat Routine for Beachy Waves



Hello lovelies! Today I want to quickly share with you an easy routine I have found for creating undone, beachy waves. This look is staring two of my all-time favorite hair styling products from Bumble and bumble, the infamous Surf Spray and the Grooming Creme. This has been my go-to routine lately as it involves very little to no heat, makes styling my hair in the mornings practically effortless, and the end result looks like I put considerable effort into my hair (when in fact all I did was sleep in an extra 15 minutes).

I originally discovered this no-heat hair waving technique by watching this youtube video. With just a few tweaks, I've been able to create a process that seems to work perfectly with my slightly-wavy, long and thick hair. The natural texture of my hair is something that has always plagued me. I've never been able to let it just simply air dry because parts of it are so curly it almost looks crimpy, while the underneath sections are almost straight, leaving me with a half curly/wavy, half straight mess. Trust me, it's not really a cute look! In any case, I've always been drawn to the look of soft, effortless texture in hair and until now had used heating tools to achieve the look. I am glad to say that I find the results of this routine equal (if not prettier) to those I got spending 15 minutes in the morning curling my hair. I am by no means a morning person, so anything I can do to up the number of times I can hit the snooze in the mornings is good with me!




 


My Routine

Step 1: Wash hair the night before. Make sure hair is well conditioned.

Step 2: Apply a dime size amount of Bumble and bumble Grooming Creme through hair, avoiding the rootsComb product through hair with a wide-tooth comb.

Step 3: Let hair air dry, or if short on time blast hair with hair dryer on low heat.  

Step 4: When hair is 95% dry, spritz a liberal amount of Bumble and bumble Surf Spray through ends of hair up to about ear level (I generally avoid my roots).

Step 5: Section hair off into two parts on either side of head, like you are making pigtails. Starting near the temples, begin the rope-braiding technique from the video. Tie bottom of rope braid off with a small clear elastic. 

Step 6: Get some shut-eye!! ZZzzz

Step 7: In the morning, gently take out the rope braid and run fingers through hair to break up any twists. At this point you can choose to let your hair be. I generally apply some smoothing serum to the ends of my hair, and set everything with a light coating of hair spray.


My Best Tips

Through trial and error, I have discovered a few secrets that help guarantee a lovely end result. First off, make sure your hair is 90-95% dry when you put your hair in rope braids. This helps with proper wave formation overnight.

The smaller the section of hair you use when rope braiding, the more crimped your waves will appear in the morning. I generally recommend taking larger sections of hair than you think you need, for a more loose wave effect. I also do not recommend doing two separate rope braids on either side of your hair, vs. the end large one. This creates a much more crimped, 80's look.

If when you take the elastic out of your hair you are left with a funny bump, simply spritz a little water on the ends of your hair and smooth it out a bit.

There you have it! I hope you see some beautiful results with this routine!

Thanks for reading! 

xx



18 comments:

  1. The way you described the natural texture of your hair made is sound exactly like mine! Air drying is impossible because I wind up with straight hair underneath and curls on top - but only on the right half of my head, the left side is just wavy! I'm going to have to test this technique, your hair came out beautifully :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! Isn't that the most frustrating thing though? I'm always so jealous of my girlfriends with perfectly curly or wavy hair! I really hope this works out for you as well xx

      Delete
  2. I love Bumble and Bumble surf spray! I've been using this thing called Rev Up by Curly Hair Solutions, and I think it gives me even more volume than the BB version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'll have to look into that one. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Louise, following you back.
    you are so beautiful and your picture quality looks amazing!!


    Your new reader Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Louise! I have nominated your lovely blog for the Liebster Award! Check back to my blog for more details :) xxx

    katieclarkemakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone whose trying to grow their hair these kinds of tips are amaze! x

    thoughtwithlove.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Hopefully it works for you as well :)

      Delete
  6. thanks for your tips, your hair looks great! never heard of Bumble and Bumble...will keep an eye out for it though :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this post, gained a lot of information! :)

    callmemaddie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely hair! These B&B Products look fab! I'll have to give them a go!


    BTW, I'm your newest follower, love your blog!


    http://mymakeupcompulsion.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this! I don't have the bumble and bumble one, I have the Charlotte Ronson one and I've been trying to figure out how to use it haha. Will try your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of my friends do this, and it provides a nice turn out. Wow. You have such pretty hair. The waves look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay there Louise, you might just make my week if I can find a way too sleep more!! Your hair looks AMAZING! If I can have it look half as good I'll be happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I enjoy reading each and every one!

Feel free to leave a link to your page if you like! However, please no advertising or follow for follow comments. Thank you!